Plan It Applecross
We are pleased to announce that Applecross Community Company (ACC) are undertaking a Community Land Use Plan project, “Plan It Applecross”, for the Applecross Community. This plan will be developed on our behalf by PAS (formerly Planning Aid Scotland), in close cooperation with the Applecross Trust.
The project will take place during January – April 2019 and we invite and encourage the entire community to get involved. The main way you can do this will be to come along to the community workshops being held at the Applecross Community Hall from the 28th Feb – 2nd March.
Who are PAS?
PAS (www.pas.org.uk) is a volunteer led independent and impartial charitable body who helps people to understand and influence the places where they live, work and visit. PAS are specialist planners who have extensive experience in community engagement and community-led land use planning in rural Scotland. PAS are based in Edinburgh and will be visiting Applecross during January-April with the final plan scheduled for May.
Background to Plan It Applecross
Following the recent ACC survey last year, and other recent community consultations, the development of this plan is the “next step”. It will build on the results of these consultations to produce a plan which represents the community’s view on the future of Applecross’s land use.
What is a Community Land Use Plan?
Good question! A Community Land Use Plan identifies geographical areas which are suitable for future development. Such developments may include housing, recreational areas, footpaths, community buildings. By involving the community throughout the entire project, we aim to build this plan together and include all the views of the community members. We aim for the final document to be used as planning guidance under the existing Highland Council WestPlan.
What’s Happening Now?
PAS held an initiation meeting in Applecross on the 17th & 18th of January. This was attended by representatives from the ACC Board, the Applecross Trust, Applecross Community Council, Highland Council, HSCHT and the Applecross Forum.
Over the next month members of the PAS project team will have discussions with other residents and groups, and will conduct youth engagement workshops at the start of February.
· 5-6 February: PAS (David Ferguson; Laura MacDonald) will travel to Applecross to hear the views of young people in Applecross Primary and Plockton High School.
· 6-8 February: PAS (Julia Frost; Rob Piggot) will travel to Applecross to meet with key groups: crofting grazing committees, local businesses, the over-60’s lunch club, the Community Hall Committee, and local groups such as heritage/archaeology. We are in the process of arranging these meetings and will be in touch.
· Ongoing through February: We’ll be speaking on the phone to other local organisations and groups. We would also like to speak to anybody who is not currently resident in Applecross but who grew up here and would consider returning.
These initial discussions are to help plan for the main part of the process later in the month; they are to raise the profile of the project and help get everyone involved; and are to hear the objectives and interests of key groups/landowners/stakeholders. This activity will inform the planning of the main workshops.
How to Get Involved -
The main part of the process – a series of themed discussion workshops and drop-in sessions in Applecross Community Hall – will take place over three days:
· Thursday 28 February (6-8pm)
· Friday 1 March (all day)
· Saturday 2 March (10am-4pm)
We are still working out the detail of these workshops and a flyer/poster will follow in the next few weeks with further information. We very much hope that you will get involved in the workshops, and can drop by to let us know your views.
Follow Up Feedback Session
In addition to the main workshops a follow up one day workshop will be held at the start of April to allow you to comment on the findings and proposals that will come out of the workshops and discussions. We will provide more information on this closer to the date.
The full PAS team involved in this project are:
· Julia Frost – Strategic Lead
· Rob Piggot – Project Co-ordinator
· David Wood – Project Researcher
· Jarek Gasiorek – Project Designer
· David Ferguson – Education Lead
· Laura MacDonald – Project and Education Assistant
Get In Touch with PAS
Altenatively please contact Ann or Roslyn at ACC on email@example.com.
We will be sending out updates on the progress of Plan It Applecross on a regular basis so please keep an eye out for the latest newsletter. Sign up here for updates.