Plan It Applecross
We are pleased to announce that Applecross Community Company (ACC) are undertaking a Community Land Use Plan project, “Plan It Applecross”, for the Applecross Community. This plan will be developed on our behalf by PAS (formerly Planning Aid Scotland), in close cooperation with the Applecross Trust. The project will take place during January – June 2019 and we invite and encourage the entire community to get involved.
A Draft Community Land Use Plan has now been published and PAS wish to invite comments and feedback on this from the 3 May to 3 June 2019. Please find more detail here: https://www.pas.org.uk/planitapplecross/.
Who are PAS?
PAS (www.pas.org.uk) is a volunteer led independent and impartial charitable body who helps people to understand and influence the places where they live, work and visit. PAS are specialist planners who have extensive experience in community engagement and community-led land use planning in rural Scotland. PAS are based in Edinburgh and will be visiting Applecross during January-April with the final plan scheduled for May.
Background to Plan It Applecross
Following the recent ACC survey last year, and other recent community consultations, the development of this plan is the “next step”. It will build on the results of these consultations to produce a plan which represents the community’s view on the future of Applecross’s land use.
What is a Community Land Use Plan?
Good question! A Community Land Use Plan identifies geographical areas which are suitable for future development. Such developments may include housing, recreational areas, footpaths, community buildings. By involving the community throughout the entire project, we aim to build this plan together and include all the views of the community members. We aim for the final document to be used as planning guidance under the existing Highland Council WestPlan.
What Has Happened?
- 5-6 February: PAS (David Ferguson; Laura MacDonald) were with the Applecross Primary and Plockton High School.
- 6-8 February: PAS (Julia Frost; Rob Piggot) were in Applecross meeting key groups: crofting grazing committees, local businesses, the over-60’s lunch club, the Community Hall Committee, and local groups such as heritage/archaeology.
- 6 Feb - 28 Feb: PAS spoke on the phone/via email to other local organisations and groups and othe individuals. We would also like to speak to anybody who is not currently resident in Applecross but who grew up here and would consider returning.
- 28 Feb – 2 March: The main community workshops were held in the Community Hall.
- 12 March: a meeting was held to short list the sites identified in the workshops and discussions. Short-listing was based on ownership, planning considerations and existing land use issues. This meeting included representatives from the ACC Board, the Applecross Trust, Applecross Community Council, Highland Council, HSCHT and the Applecross Forum.
- 3 April: a follow up session was held to present the strategy and proposals that came from the main workshops.
- 3 May: Draft Community Land Use Plan published for comment and feedback.
The full PAS team involved in this project are:
· Julia Frost – Strategic Lead
· Rob Piggot – Project Co-ordinator
· David Wood – Project Researcher
· Jarek Gasiorek – Project Designer
· Laura MacDonald – Project and Education Assistant
Get In Touch with PAS
Altenatively please contact Ann or Roslyn at ACC on firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will be sending out updates on the progress of Plan It Applecross on a regular basis so please keep an eye out for the latest newsletter. Sign up here for updates.